Wendy_Online: 5 top tips for creating the perfect flatlay
Wendy_Online Instablogger Wendy Nguyen is definitely one influencer that’s taking the Instagram flatlay world by storm – with 2016 seeing the beauty aficionado get put firmly on the one-to-watch list. After celebrating the milestone of reaching 50K followers in July this year, the Queen of the beauty flatlay has fast doubled that number – sitting on 109K at time of publication.
So what’s the secret to her success (other than flawless posts and the perfect placement of products)? Here Wendy talks Husskie through her five top flatlay tips and tricks…
- Start with a hero product or a theme and build from there. It gives a good starting point for your visual story telling and ensures your picture doesn’t look too cluttered or confused.
- Lighting is super important. It doesn’t matter if you nail your composition and everything else perfectly if your set-up is poorly lit. You don’t have to invest in fancy, expensive lights. I find natural, diffused daylight ideal.
- If in doubt, stick to tonal products; It can make the image easier on the eye and it’s kind of fun going on a hunt for things that match your colour theme.
- Clean your products! So many times I’ve seen beautiful pictures ruined with a grubby foundation lid or a ton of stray fingerprints. It doesn’t take long to do but it makes a world of difference.
- Blu tack! Especially useful to hold things down that like rolling away (like lipsticks or eyeliners). I also use it to prop lids open or even to angle products differently to catch the light better.
Got any Flatlay tricks and tips of your own? We’d love to hear in the comments below…