At Husskie, we love a set of stylish twins. Twice the fun (and twice the fashion inspo). The Sydney twins behind When Words Fail – Danielle Lalor and Nicole Benton – were long destined for the fashion blogging scene. Taking photos of the different outfits they’d put together since a young age and then receiving the “Biggest Posers” award at their school formal, it was only natural that these two would go on to become bloggers and Instabloggers. And with their constant high-styling co-ordinating sets – we’re pretty glad they did.
With Danielle and Nicole recently reunited after separate international pursuits, we pulled the duo aside to chat everything from misconceptions about blogging to turning full-time influencers this month…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Charlotte Tilbury clay mask
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Carmex lip balm, rose mist spray, Aveda dry shampoo powder, tanning mousse, and sunscreen!
3. Hair “done” or messy? We love to do beach waves and create that messy look
4. Favourite fragrance? Danielle: Frederic Malle – Portrait of a Lady, Nicole: Dolce and Gabbana – The One
5. Favourite item of clothing? Danielle: Vintage denim jeans, Nicole: Silk black midi slip dress
6. Favourite fashion brand? Always changes but Zimmermann and Frankie store NY at the moment!
7. Gym or exercising outdoors? Outdoors for sure!
8. Healthy eating or treating yourself? A balance! We love eating healthy but will never say no to chocolate…
9. Can you cook? Negative… both our partners are great at cooking, where’s as we aren’t so much… LOL
10. Favourite food to indulge in? Gnocchi 4 cheese
11. First thing you pick from the mini-bar? Dairy milk chocolate!
12. Best place to eat out? Any Thai restaurant
13. Happiest moment? Nicole; Getting engaged last November, Danielle: Getting married!
14. Saddest moment? When relatives pass away 🙁
15. Blog or YouTube? Blog
16. Iphone or camera? Camera
17. Type of camera? Canon 70D
18. Facetune or untouched? Facetune
19. Lightroom or VSCO? VSCO, but we use Lightroom on our laptops
20. Favourite filter? DOG1 on VSCO
21. Favourite way to edit pics? Low saturation with grain
22. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influencer as of the end of this month!
23. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? We’ve always had a love for fashion and we had a lot of friends and family say to us we should be doing something in the fashion industry. We discovered Instagram and started to follow other influencers and figured… hmmmm we could give this a crack!
24. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Not much time at all, honestly! Once we shoot the pics (maybe 20 mins max) for a certain look, it doesn’t take long to download and edit on Lightroom
25. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be active and always stick to your branding/style
26. Who takes your pics? Justin Rolleston (Nicole’s fiancé) or Wesley Tan
27. Career highlight since being an influencer? We’ve had many! We’re so lucky to work with so many incredible brands, but one of our fave shoots was with a shoe brand over in Perth, we had so much fun. It was our first big campaign about 4 years ago
28. Career lowlight since being an influencer? Hmmmm, don’t really have one! But I guess the negativity you can sometimes receive from followers
29. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? We’ve had some good ones! Umm we loved shooting for Mimco earlier this year and I (Nicole) recently did a shoot for Stylerunner run squad with ASICS/City2Surf that was a lot of fun also
30. Worst thing that’s happened to you on a photo shoot? Not trying the pieces on before the shoot day and realising they don’t fit! Also forgetting shoes to pair with the outfits on a shoot
31. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Beach Waver curler – we literally use it almost every day!
32. Last thing you googled? Nicole: Flight distance from HK- SYD, Danielle: Joshua Tree California
33. Favourite film? ‘Devil Wears Prada’ and ‘Blue Crush’
34. Favourite book? Nicole: ‘The Secret’! Danielle: I very rarely read, haha
35. Favourite song? Danielle: ‘Halo’ Beyoncé, Nicole: Mine always changes
36. Living in the city or living by the beach? Beach for sure
37. Favourite travel destination? Bali! That place never gets old, we’re obsessed
38. Most Instagram-worthy spot? Inside the QT Bondi – there’s a beautiful courtyard, we’ve shot so much there
39. Top three essentials to pack when traveling? Beach Waver curler, Dry shampoo, and your camera!
40. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner with friends
41. Partner or single? We both have partners. Danielle: Married, Nicole: Engaged
42. Siblings? We have an older brother and an older sister. There are 4 kids in our family, we’re the youngest
43. What city are you currently living in? Sydney
44. Celebrity/influencer crush? We love Rosie Huntington, she can do no wrong!
45. Pets? We’ve had Matilda our family cat for years, she lives with mum and dad
46. What is your best asset? Hmmm, our stomachs? It’s the least place we put on weight I guess…
47. Biggest misconception about you and your job? We hear all the time: “Blogging is easy, all you do is get free stuff”… people don’t understand the work and creativity that goes into our content. It’s very time-consuming and yes it has lots of perks, but it isn’t all pretty!
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @sarahshabacon @shaymitchell @hoskelsa @tezzamb and @collagevintage
49. Favourite quote you live by? “You only live once”
50. Top career tip? Always stay motivated and focused with everything you do.
All images: When Words Fail