50 Questions with Trendy Chickadee’s Molly Hogan
She may have a degree in advertising, but these days you’re more likely to find Trendy Chickadee founder and creative director Molly Hogan working on creating content for her blog and Instagram platforms (while teaming up with major brands such as Urban Outfitters and American Eagle…)
Born in Atlanta, Georgia, raised in Chicago, studied in Austin, Texas and now living in Los Angeles – this is one 22-year-old that is not afraid to move around the map. Launching the Trendy Chickadee platform in the summer of 2015 as a way to delve into her creative side (while also showcasing that AWESOME wardrobe of hers), Molly has been quick to find an attentive audience following her digital pursuits.
Dedicated to all “sun chasing, sandy beach-loving boho babes” [can you see why we’re obsessed?!], we are thrilled to have Molly take on the latest of Husskie’s Fast 50 challenges. Here, we chat to the style influencer about everything from being featured by Vogue to how she edits her images…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Coconut oil – you can use it for moisturising, as a hair mask, for teeth whitening…
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Burt’s Bees Overnight Lip Balm, Clinique Moisture Surge, Wet Brush, Marc Jacobs Mascara, Supergoop SPF 50
3. Hair “done” or messy? Messy
4. Makeup or no makeup? No makeup
5. Favourite fragrance? Jo Malone Peony + Blush Suede
6. Favourite item of clothing? Levi’s 501 Jeans
7. Favourite fashion brand? Faithful the Brand
8. Sneakers or heels? Sneakers
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Exercising outdoors
10. Yoga or running? Yoga
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Treating yourself! Girl Scout Thin Mints are my weakness
12. Can you cook? Yes! I rarely ever eat out
13. Favourite food? French fries or mangoes
14. Favourite drink? Water! Or a really cold Coca Cola
15. Best place to eat out? True Food Kitchen
16. Happiest moment? When I got my puppy, Penny
17. Saddest moment? I try to find the happy in any sad moment!
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram
19. Blog or YouTube? Blog…but I’m getting more into YouTube
20. iPhone or camera? CAMERA!!!
21. Type of camera? Cannon
22. Facetune or untouched? Untouched
23. Lightroom or VSCO? VSCO! I use the “S” series
24. Favourite filter? S1 and a little bit of grain
25. Favourite way to edit pics? Lots of natural sunlight, up the exposure
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influencer! But I had lots of 9-5s before that…
27. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I was bored one weekend and started taking pictures of my outfits with a friend. We did that every weekend for a whole summer and then I created my IG account!
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Hmmm. Between styling, location scouting, meeting up with my (amazing) photog… maybe a few hours?!
29. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be authentic! Don’t post the photos you think people want to see – post the photos you like best and are proud of
30. Who takes your pics? Hanna Snyder of Miramar Photo. She’s the most amazing photog and human. I love her!!
31. Career highlight since being an influencer? Being featured in Vogue Spain!
32. Career lowlight since being an influencer? I think anytime someone is mean – whether it’s getting weird looks at an event or other bloggers being cliquey. It doesn’t happen often because most people I’ve met have been so nice and genuine
33. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Maybe the Burt’s Bees studio shoot I recently did? That will launch this summer… There are so many fun ones it’s hard to choose!
34. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? I got sent “Pet Cube” – a camera that dispenses treats to your pet while you’re gone and films their reaction. Best freebie EVER!
35. Last thing you googled? “How to fly with your dog”
36. Favourite film? “Almost Famous” or “Girl, Interrupted”
37. Favourite book? Anything by Rupi Kaur. I also just read “The Woman in Cabin 10” and loved it! Crime and mystery books are my favourite
38. Favourite song? “Free Fallin’” by Tom Petty or “Everywhere” by Fleetwood Mac
39. Favourite band? Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers or Lord Huron
40. Living in the city or living by the beach? Beach, beach, beach!
41. Favourite travel destination? Tulum, Mexico or Oahu, Hawaii
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner with friends!
43. Partner or single? Partner! You can see more of me + my boyfriend via @beachbyrds on Instagram
44. Siblings? Yes! One older brother – much cooler and smarter than me 🙂
45. What city are you currently living in? Los Angeles
46. Celebrity crush? Charlie Hunnam
47. Pets? Yes! My Australian labradoodle, Penny
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @beachbyrds, @bohemegoods, @tuulavintage, @matildadjerf, @goatsofanarchy
49. Favourite quote you live by? “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you”
– Rupi Kaur
50. Top career tip? Be nice, work hard and do what makes you happy! Life is too short for anything else.
All images: Trendy Chickadee