“Remember that success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it without outside validation. Do things for the right reasons and not to simply fill up tiny squares in your Instagram aesthetically,” reads a recent blog post by The Grey Layers’ founder Jeanne Grey. A sentiment that we truly love. And an attitude which is exactly why we called on Jeanne to take part in our latest Fast 50.
While she’s made a career out of blogging and Instablogging, Jeanne is one of those people that knows how to keep it real. Open in her advice and genuine in her takes on the industry, Jeanne is a new breed of #girlboss that has us tuning in. That, plus she has a killer aesthetic that we just can’t get enough of.
Here, we sit down with Jeanne to find out everything there is to know about this influpreneur [? a new word she’s just taught us… ?]
1. Best beauty product of all time? Glossier’s Bow Brow
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer, Glossier’s Boy Brow, Artis Palm Brush, Nars Orgasm Liquid Blush, and Maybelline’s Creamy Matte Lipstick in Clay Crush
3. Hair “done” or messy? Messy
4. Makeup or no makeup? No makeup makeup 😉
5. Favourite fragrance? Clean Reserve Warm Cotton
6. Favourite item of clothing? Oversized sweaters
7. Favourite fashion brand? Truly depends on my mood. Weekends I live in Free People, work days I live in COS or And Other Stories
8. Sneakers or heels? Sneakers
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Gym
10. Yoga or running? A good mix of both and some kickboxing!
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? A good balance of both, please!
12. Can you cook? Yes
13. Favourite food? Street tacos
14. Favourite drink? Coconut water
15. Best place to eat out? Street taco trucks
16. Happiest moment? November 7, 2016 – the day after he proposed 🙂
17. Saddest moment? July 4, 2017 – when my dog went missing
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram
19. Blog or YouTube? Blog
20. Iphone or camera? Iphone
21. Type of camera? Sony
22. VSCO cam or Snapseed? VSCO
23. Facetune or untouched? Untouched
24. Favourite filter? A6
25. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influpreneur
26. How did you first get your start in media? About four years ago, a creative outlet turned into something that started paying the bills through a t-shirt ad worth $10 for a post
27. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? With quick planning, execution and editing, I’d say a good 15-20 minutes
28. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be genuine, stick to what you LOVE to post. The industry has become incredibly saturated to the point of everyone almost looking the same. Your strong suit: no one is you
29. Who takes your pics? Our #Teamgreylayers inhouse photographer Chris or my fiancé 🙂
30. Most exciting moment since being an influencer? We just currently moved into our new HQ! It’s exciting to see the team grow!
31. Most terrifying moment since being an influencer? (?)
32. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Definitely my Fresh campaigns! Overall a fun group of women to work with!
33. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Pizza supply for a year!
34. Last thing you googled? Jonathan Adler’s site for furniture
35. Favourite film? ‘Eat Pray Love’
36. Favourite book? ‘Astrophysics For People in a Hurry’
37. Favourite song? ‘Location’ by Khalid
38. Favourite band? N/a
39. Living in the city or living by the beach? The beach
40. Favourite travel destination? Bali
41. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner with friends
42. Partner or single? Married <3
43. Siblings? Yes
44. What city are you currently living in? New York City
45. Celebrity girl crush? Natalie Portman, Rachel McAdams
46. Celebrity boy crush? Joseph Gordon-Levitt
47. Pets? 1 dog named Storm, 1 bunny named Dog
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @margaret__zhang, @parkncube, @coco_pinkprincess,
@maria_bernad and me, duh 😉
49. Favourite quote you live by? “The woman you’re becoming will cost you people, relationships and spaces. Choose her over everything”
50. Top career tip? Look at your blog as a business and treat it like one. The only way for it to flourish and financially stabilise is if you make into a professional brand with structure and discipline
All images: @thegreylayers