She surfs, she skates, she loves a beer, and prefers sneakers over heels – Casey James is our kind of gal. And this laidback Aussie beach babe is currently blowing up – being picked to front modelling campaigns for local and international brands including Arnhem, Pacsun Los Angeles, and Free People, as well as having a successful Instagram account accruing over 259K followers.
Now, Casey’s latest role has seen her named the face of Rec Gen‘s first womenswear collection launching this month. We decided this was a good an excuse as any to pull her aside for one of our Fast 50 interviews to tackle all the bite-sized questions including everything from biggest fears to meeting her boyfriend to whether we’re likely to see her ditching Instagram for TikTok any time soon…
1. Age? 22
2. Height? 5’6
3. Best beauty product of all time? Lanolin (wool fat) for lips
4. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Lanolin, lip liner, eyebrow pencil, concealer and mascara
5. Hair “done” or messy? Messy!
6. Favourite fragrance? I love Le Labo Santal 33 – heaven!
7. Favourite item of clothing? Activewear always! I’m living in my REC GEN bike shorts and sports bra at the moment, so comfy
8. Favourite fashion brand? Realisation Par – the best dresses!
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Exercising outdoors – love to get outside in the fresh air
10. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Treating myself!
11. Can you cook? I love going out but cook when at home
12. Favourite food to indulge in? I’m a sucker for chocolate
13. First thing you pick from the mini bar? The beer!
14. Favourite hobby? Anything active – surfing and skating
15. A strange fact about you that followers might not know? I am half Sri-Lankan!
16. Biggest fear? Dying without living
17. Instagram or Tiktok? Instagram
18. Thoughts on Tiktok? I’m not a huge fan but everyone seems to be loving it…
19. Professional photographer or snapping it yourself? Professional photographer
20. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Influencer
21. When did you first start noticing your Instagram following grow and why? When I first started modelling and posting pictures from my shoots – from there it just grew organically
22. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? One minute – the shots that I post are mostly from modelling shoots so they are already good to go
23. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be yourself!
24. Career highlight since being an influencer? I don’t really see myself as an ‘influencer’ – my page has grown from my modelling
25. Career lowlight since being an influencer? The same as above
26. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Free People in Noosa or Pacsun in Bora Bora
27. Worst thing that’s happened to you on a photo shoot? People don’t realise most swim campaigns are shot in the middle of winter so swimming in ice cold water is probably the worst thing about my job!
28. The best gift you’ve ever received as a model? Meeting the most amazing people during my time in the industry
29. Last thing you googled? Coffee shops near me
30. Favourite film? ‘Law Abiding Citizen’
31. Favourite book? ‘I don’t really read’
32. Living in the city or living by the beach? Beach 1000%
33. Favourite travel destination? Italy
34. Most Instagram-worthy spot? Wherever you are – don’t overthink it!
35. Top three essentials to pack when traveling? Passport, lip balm and sunscreen
36. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Dinner with friends
37. Partner or single? Partner
38. When did you start dating? November last year
39. How did you meet? The Island I think, ha!
40. What drew you to him? His personality and the fact he never tried too hard
41. Siblings? None
42. What city are you currently living in? Sydney
43. Celebrity/influencer crush? Hailey Baldwin Bieber
44. Pets? I wish!
45. What is your best asset? Hair, I think
46. Biggest misconception about you and your job? That I’m an ‘influencer’ and all models are snobby and bitchy
47. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? Riparide, RecGen, Bella Hadid, Endlesslyloveclub and Olive Cooke
48. Favourite quote you live by? YOLO – lame but true
49. Top career tip? Have a good work ethic and always be nice
50. Best piece of advice for your 14-year-old self? I’d rather turn it around and be who I was when I was 14. Not a care in the world and never listened to what anyone thought of me – you could just be yourself.
Images: Casey James and Rec Gen | Visit https://recgen.com/ to check out more content from Casey’s shoot day with the brand
Want exclusive influencer interviews and news straight to your inbox? Join our mailing list or follow us on Instagram.
Thank you. Good luck.
I really love your style. You did it well!
Thank you, for this useful blog
Thanks for sharing such an informative article, a great explanation through examples though.