With a passion and zest for life (and the love of her life) escaping out of her Instagram feed and blog at every turn, Hbgoodie content creator Heather Goodie has a happiness that you just can’t help but want to be a part of.
Living in Hawaii with husband Bryant, the couple are avid photographers, surfers and eaters of Mexican food (and no, we’re not sure in which order those three come). Tracking the island-dwelling sun-lover down in between bike rides, boat trips, and tree climbs – we spoke to Heather to find out more about the girl that’s turned her love for capturing the tropics into a full-time career.
Missed the last articles in the 50 Questions series? Click the links to read interviews with Noel Alva, Coconut and Bliss’ Sophie Fisher, and Sky Naite.
1. Hair “done” or messy? I haven’t done my hair in probably three years to be honest! I feel accomplished just to get a brush through it
2. Makeup or no makeup? I don’t wear makeup a lot but I do feel more confident wearing it
3. Favourite item of clothing? I love living in my swimsuits
4. Favourite fashion brand? Right now I’m digging Rhythm swimwear and the cute dresses from Called To Surf
5. Sneakers or heels? No shoes at all!
6. Gym or exercising outdoors? As much as I think I’d love to workout outside, I find it super hard to concentrate because of how beautiful it is – so it’s the gym for me!
7. Yoga or running? Both
8. Camping or hotel? Definitely camping!
9. Hiking or driving to a photo location? Hiking usually gets you to the extra special places
10. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Definitely both!
11. Can you cook? Yes I love to cook – it’s a newfound love of mine
12. Favourite food? Anything Mediterranean
13. Favourite drink? I’m a water drinker, all the way
14. Best place to eat out? My favourite spots on Oahu are Kan Zaman and Shaloha – like I said, I love Mediterranean food!
15. Happiest moment? I’d say my wedding, but honestly each day just gets better and better with my love
16. Saddest moment? Saying goodbye to my (now husband) back when we were dating for two whole years – long distance is rough!
17. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram
18. Blog or YouTube? Blog
19. Iphone or camera? Camera
20. Type of camera? I use a Canon EOS Mark IV
21. Facetune or untouched? I don’t know what that is!
22. Lightroom or VSCO? Sometimes I use VSCO for my phone pics
23. Favourite filter? I make my own presets in Lightroom
24. Favourite way to edit pics? I love deep contrast and colour
25. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? I’m a full-time business owner
26. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I’m not even sure, tbh. I started out as a wedding photographer and gradually moved towards shooting products. I eventually used that money to go on trips and it just caught on
27. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Depends on if it was an adventure or not. Less time goes into taking pics on an adventure or traveling because otherwise my husband starts getting annoyed and wants to get back to having fun, haha!
28. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be yourself, 100%. Be vulnerable, unique, and stand out from the crowd. You can only borrow others’ ideas for so long
29. Who takes your pics? Me, my husband, and friends
30. Career highlight since being an influencer? I got to work with Hawaii Tourism and that was my favourite job ever – we captured locals and their stories to show the world that there’s more to Hawaii than luaus and beaches
31. Career lowlight since being an influencer? I think we all get stuck in ruts sometimes. I try to use that time to focus on other parts of my business – the creative flow will come back
32. Scariest moment you’ve faced in your career? One time I was out swimming and shooting in the ocean in some empty waves. It was a little eerie feeling since there was no one out but the production crew. I was swimming for probably 4 hours, super tired, and had to swim about a mile back in by myself. I found out afterwards that a tiger shark had been circling and checking me out the whole time! I’ve felt spooked about that spot ever since
33. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Either Visit Jordan or Hawaii Tourism – both were amazing
34. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? This sounds super lame, but I love when Hydroflask sends me a new water bottle because I bang mine up pretty quickly. They’re an essential for living at the beach!
35. Last thing you googled? Movie trivia
36. Favourite film? ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ all the way
37. Favourite book? I love ‘Present over Perfect’ and ‘Have a Little Faith’
38. Favourite song? Currently I love anything by Ella Vos
39. Favourite band? I always go back to Trevor Hall and Led Zeppelin
40. Living in the city or living by the beach? Beach!!
41. Favourite travel destination? Jordan is still my favourite, but we’re headed to a lot of new places this year so we’ll see
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Definitely friends
43. Partner or single? I’m married!
44. Siblings? 3 brothers. They keep me humble and remind me I’m not as cool as I think on Instagram, haha
45. What city are you currently living in? I live on the North Shore of Oahu
46. Celebrity crush? Orlando Bloom or Ryan Gosling
47. Pets? We have a sassy little guinea pig, lol
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? I love @chrisburkard, @tezzamb, @haylsa, @melissafindley, and @elliebullen
49. Favourite quote you live by? “This too shall pass.” I love it because it reminds me that the good times don’t last forever, so savour them, and the bad times don’t last forever either, so look forward with hope
50. Top career tip? The only difference between you and someone who’s successful is your persistence. Don’t give up.
All images: Hbgoodie
Want exclusive influencer interviews and news straight to your inbox? Join our mailing list or follow us on Instagram.
Leave a Reply