Starting her blog, Stiletto Beats, in Spring 2011 as part of her Fashion Journalism degree, Emily Vartanian quickly discovered a love for blogging. She was a 22 year old college student juggling fashion classes, an internship, and a part-time job – with no idea her personal blog would soon form her future career.
Fast forward seven years, and Emily not only continues to produce regular content for the blog, but has also established herself as a successful lifestyle influencer with over 195K Instagram followers to her name.
Entering her 30s, married, and a full-time content creator, we decide to pull Emily aside to find out a little more about what her life is like away from the camera…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Can’t live without my It Cosmetics Superhero Mascara
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Sunday Riley Good Genes Serum, Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Cream, Jouer Foundation, Becca Cosmetics First Light Priming Filter, It Cosmetics Universal Brow Pencil
3. Hair “done” or messy? Hair messy… always! My hair is almost always just air-dried
4. Favourite fragrance? Dior Hypnotic Poison
5. Favourite item of clothing? Probably…
6. Favourite fashion brand? Sezane and Chloe
7. Gym or exercising outdoors? Outdoors!
8. Healthy eating or treating yourself? A little bit of both! Balance is key
9. Can you cook? If it involves a microwave, then yes 🙂
10. Favourite food to indulge in? French fries!
11. First thing you pick from the mini-bar? Sparkling water?
12. Best place to eat out? In n out
13. Happiest moment? At home with my husband and dog
14. Saddest moment? Being stuck in the airport and just wanting to be home!
15. Blog or YouTube? Blog, always!
16. Iphone or camera? Camera – love getting creative in front of the lens
17. Type of camera? Sony A7 Riii
18. Facetune or untouched? Untouched!
19. Lightroom or VSCO? Lightroom desktop, I sell my own presets and love to edit 🙂
20. Favourite filter? My own preset, currently into Mon Cheri
21. Favourite way to edit pics? I love it to look dreamy – milky whites and soft blacks
22. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influencer
23. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I was taking a journalism class for my undergraduate and it was our class assignment
24. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? About 3 hrs! 1 hr to shoot, 1 hr to edit, 1 hr to caption and post
25. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be yourself
26. Who takes your pics? My photographer and friend @enziephoto
27. Career highlight since being an influencer? Traveling the world and seeing so many places
28. Career lowlight since being an influencer? Always having to be on – you never have a day off
29. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? There are so many, I can’t choose! My favourite this year has been French aperitif brand Lillet
30. Worst thing that’s happened to you on a photo shoot? Nothing super bad – maybe just not getting THE photo after hours
31. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Does a second wedding dress count? Haha!
32. Last thing you googled? Vintage Dior bags
33. Favourite film? I love the ‘Before Sunrise’ trilogy movie… just a simple movie about finding love and how love grows
34. Favourite book? ‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ and ‘How to Be a Badass’
35. Favourite song? Anything Jack Johnson or Vance Joy
36. Living in the city or living by the beach? Living in the city
37. Favourite travel destination? So far my favourite place in the world is Tulum, Mexico
38. Most Instagram-worthy spot? LA?
39. Top three essentials to pack when traveling? N/A
40. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner with friends! I’m old
41. Partner or single? Married
42. Siblings? 2 older brothers, I’m the baby
43. What city are you currently living in? LA
44. Celebrity/influencer crush? I’m really obsessed with Belen Hostalet
45. Pets? Oliver is my 1 year old cattle dog mutt!
46. What is your best asset? That I’m an open book! Especially with my followers
47. Biggest misconception about you and your job? That it’s easy!
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @belenhostalet @collagevintage @taylorlashae @maddiegreer @tezzamb
49. Favourite quote you live by? “Be a light in this world”
50. Top career tip? Focus on what you have now to get to where you want to get. Also cut out all the noise and make decisions based solely on what you want!
All images: Emily Vartanian