50 Questions with lifestyle influencer Brooke Styles
After starting up an Instagram account 6 years ago as a place to store some of her modelling shots, Brooke Styles has gone on to make a career out of the platform (and gain 112K+ followers in the process). With influencing taking over from modelling, the Sunshine Coast beauty spends her days creating campaigns for brands while also managing the social media account for Koko Lashes & Brows.
Here, Brooke sits down with Husskie to take part in our latest Fast 50 – talking everything from first gaining exposure on Instagram to giving a peek into her behind-the-scenes life.
1. Best beauty product of all time? I do not go anywhere without a Lip Smacker. They may have gone out of fashion, but I do have my collection of different flavours – top pick is the strawberry collaboration with chupa chups
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? My Lip Smacker, Frank Body lip scrub, The Body Shop’s Chinese clay mask, Bali Body’s tinted moisturiser, and dry shampoo
3. Hair “done” or messy? Half, half? I like to curl my hair then mess it up with some volumizing powder
4. Favourite fragrance? Miss Dior is one of my faves
5. Favourite item of clothing? A pair of slides! 90% of the time if you can’t see my feet in a pic – I’m wearing slides
6. Favourite fashion brand? This is so hard! But you can never go wrong with Gucci…
7. Gym or exercising outdoors? I am not a “gym” person – I prefer to do Barre classes or an afternoon walk
8. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Hahaha, help me! Treat night every night
9. Can you cook? I can! But I’m more of a baker – my specialty is banana cake
10. Favourite food to indulge in? Oh my goodness, I have a weak spot for cheese and wine. Treat me with a platter and you will win my heart…
11. First thing you pick from the mini-bar? Chocolate. Who doesn’t!
12. Best place to eat out? I do love Indian and it’s one of those meals that the restaurant always does better
13. Happiest moment? I have so many! But the most recent was directing and styling a campaign with Colette Hayman – and now my face is stretched across Australian stores nationwide
14. Saddest moment? I actually cannot think of one… maybe leaving to live in Lombok was pretty sad and definitely a challenge for me
15. Blog or YouTube? YouTube!
16. Iphone or camera? Camera
17. Type of camera? For vlogging – Canon G7X and my photography camera is a Nikon d3400
18. Facetune or untouched? I can’t say completely untouched as sometimes when working with photographers they might retouch
19. Lightroom or VSCO? Lightroom
20. Favourite filter? I’ve made my own presets on Lightroom but they are very warm-toned looks
21. Favourite way to edit pics? I love my natural light, heaps of colour, and as crisp as possible
22. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influencer – and man has it been a crazy 6 years!
23. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? This is a long story not really fit for a 50 quick questions! But… I started off modelling 6 years ago after graduating school. From there, I didn’t quite know what to do with my pics so I opened up an Instagram account. I then had a few photos go viral and had opportunities to work with some amazing brands. I don’t model any more, but more so content create for businesses – which has also gained me a lot of work and exposure!
24. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? So much I lose track. Most photos are a part of a campaign or photoshoot – so that photo could of started from 6am for makeup and shooting all day to then a few hours of editing. Crazy, isn’t it!
25. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be consistent – in your time, effort and style
26. Who takes your pics? A mix between myself and a few close friends who are photographers
27. Career highlight since being an influencer? Working with so many amazing brands and talents that I have looked up to
28. Career lowlight since being an influencer? Unfortunately finding fake friends has been a real low
29. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Definitely the Colette Haymen campaign that has just been dropped
30. Worst thing that’s happened to you on a photo shoot? I have a strong talent for falling over on almost every photoshoot – it’s a given now, haha!
31. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? I have been blessed with so many amazing things from brands that it’s so hard to pick. I have received a few laptops from Asus which is amazing
32. Last thing you googled? Best public pools in LA – trying to find some cool locations for shooting
33. Favourite film? I am a DISNEY FREAK, all time fave is ‘Little Mermaid’
34. Favourite book? The Harry Potter series
35. Favourite song? ‘Kiss the Girl’ – Little Mermaid
36. Living in the city or living by the beach? I really don’t enjoy the city… beach!
37. Favourite travel destination? I always love Bali, Indonesia – but I dream to go to Greece
38. Most Instagram-worthy spot? All of Bali! It is insane
39. Top three essentials to pack when traveling? Face mask, headphones, and a portable charger
40. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner
41. Partner or single? Partner… there’s a little secret not many know about – goss jackpot!
42. Siblings? Yes! 14 year old sister Lily
43. What city are you currently living in? I’m finally back home! Sunshine Coast
44. Celebrity crush? Jennifer Lawrence will forever be my girl crush
45. Pets? I have a beautiful golden retriever Daisy who is basically my child, and a fighting fish called Kendrick
46. What is your best asset? I’ve always been told it’s my smile
47. Biggest misconception about you and your job? A lot of people don’t understand or know that I had to work really hard for 6 years to get to where I am. They think I just post a photo and get a heap of followers – but I work 12+ hours daily and do a lot of behind-the-scenes work like talk at schools, business events, and attend as many functions as I can to keep me going. The influencing world is getting harder every day and to continue growing you have to put 110% of you into it
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @jasmindowling @taramilktea @girlswithgluten @gloriousgoldens @lisadanielle__
49. Favourite quote you live by? “Have courage and be kind” – Disney
50. Top career tip? You can mimic a result, but not the creativity. Always be yourself, do things with passion, and don’t forget to have fun.
All images: Brooke Styless