With a best friend and sister in the social media influencing game, Tastemak-er fashion blogger Brenda Wasylucha was always destined to join the frow. And while she initially began posting on Instagram as a creative outlet for her love of the artistry of fashion, this has since led her into blogging and fashion designing – launching her own choker collection.
With Brenda firmly on our list of “ones to watch out for in 2017”, we chat to the influencer about everything from juggling three jobs to making blogger friends (plus a love for the Backstreet Boys)…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Kat Von D liquid lipstick – it lasts foreverrrrr
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Benefit Play sticks – perfect for days when you don’t want to wear much on your face but need just a little coverage, Feline L’Oréal Mascara – never fails me, a good cleanser – I am using Dermalogica right now, a good exfoliator – using Kate Somerville Exfolikate
3. Hair “done” or messy? Done
4. Makeup or no makeup? Honestly, I prob do 50/50 lol
5. Statement eye or statement lip? Lip
6. Favourite fragrance? I tend to like scents with a little more musk and cedarwood, I am obsessed with cedarwood!
7. Favourite item of clothing? A good pair of jeans
8. Favourite fashion brand? I don’t like being asked this cause I like a little bit of everything. ? I just wear what I like
9. Sneakers or heels? Heels, mind you I can’t wear flat shoes much because they actually hurt my feet more than heels
10. Dress or jeans? Jeans
11. Gym or exercising outdoors? Gym
12. Yoga or running? Neither. I like the stair climber and weights/bodyweight exercises
13. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Healthy eating. I think eating well (mostly) is treating yourself
14. Can you cook? Yes, I’d like to think so! lol
15. Favourite food? Anything at Crossroads on Melrose
16. Favourite drink? Ginger or root beer
17. Best place to eat out? Crossroads
18. Happiest moment? The moment right after my husband proposed
19. Saddest moment? Moving out
20. Instagram or Snapchat? Insta for sure!
21. Blog or YouTube? Blog, but only cause I don’t have a YouTube… yet
22. Iphone or camera? Both!
23. Type of camera? Nikon
24. VSCO cam or Snapseed? VSCO
25. Facetune or untouched? Not gonna lie, if I have a pimple or weird bulge in my clothing, it’s gonna get Facetuned! But, that’s why there is stories… ?
26. Shooting on-the-go or location scouting? Both
27. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? I have three other jobs, all from home, so it’s honestly all-over the place depending on the need
28. How did you get into blogging? My best friend introduced me to it and convinced me to start
29. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? It honestly really depends – could be one minute to one hour
30. Most exciting moment since being an influencer? Probably meeting so many other creative people, it’s so much fun!
31. Most terrifying moment since being an influencer? Probably going to my first event alone. Lol. I hate being alone
32. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? One of my first, with Forever 21 ?
33. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? I honestly cannot pick one. My favorite part of this whole thing is honestly the new friends I’ve met and the experiences. I know gifts are super fun, but it’s the connections I’ve made that stick out the most.
34. Favourite film? ‘Count of Monte Cristo’
35. Favourite book? ‘Count of Monte Cristo’. Lol
36. Favourite song? There are too many to have favorites. Maybe Humble & Kind, Tim McGraw.
37. Favourite band? Backstreet Boys, forever and always.
38. Living in the city or living by the beach? A city near a beach
39. Summer or winter? Summer
40. Ocean or swimming pool? Ocean
41. Favourite travel destination? Italy
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Dinner for sure
43. Partner or single? Partner
44. Siblings? Younger sister Jen
45. What city are you currently living in? I’m between LA and Calgary at the moment
46. Celebrity girl crush? Jennifer Lopez
47. Celebrity boy crush? I want you to know I’ve sat here five minutes staring at this question. LOL. I’m not sure, the list, how do I break it down to one?!
48. Pets? No, but I need a puppy like asap
49. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @withJenRachel (my amazing sister), @nguyen1q (my bestie since high school), @harperandharley, @thegreylayers, @vivaluxuryblog – I know they’re all SO different, but I honestly like a little bit of everything.
50. Favourite quote? “Moods change and so do my clothes.” Right now I’m into black and white, neutrals… but I’m starting to feel a desire for some color. I go with what I feel, because I think that no matter what direction I head, you’ll still always see my own style shining through. That’s how it goes most of the time anyway.
All images: @brendawasylucha