There’s some people you can just tell from their Instagram accounts that you’d get along. And sometimes you’re lucky enough to actually get to meet them and find out first-hand. That’s how it was with Helen Chikx influencer Helen Chik.
I’d been following the lifestyle blogger’s colourful journey since pretty much day dot of starting up an Instagram account – when I bumped into her backstage at Australian Fashion Week last year. I played it cool as I admitted I was a very regular double-tapper (I’m talking daily taps).
Fast forward to multiple shared media events later, and I have to say that Helen is every bit as vibrant as her Insti feed would make her out to be. Today, I got to sit down with the content creator to find out everything I could about her background life and career.
1. Best beauty product of all time? I’m a massive fan of Estée Lauder’s Double Wear Foundation
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? That was one of them! Also the Too Faced Hangover Primer, the Nars Casino bronzer – I love their bronzing products, I also love a good Kiehl’s mask, and also loving the La Prairie’s Line Interception Power Duo
3. Hair “done” or messy? Messy
4. Makeup or no makeup? I try to get away with no makeup when I can
5. Favourite fragrance? Le Labo Santal 33
6. Favourite item of clothing? My Rialto jeans – they’re vintage one offs in recyclable denim
7. Favourite fashion brand? I’m going to say Zimmermann is probably my favourite
8. Sneakers or heels? Sneakers
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Outdoors
10. Yoga or running? Running
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Treating myself
12. Can you cook? Nope! Unless you count two minute noodles
13. Favourite food? Anything Japanese
14. Favourite drink? For all the health nuts out there, this is going to kill them – but I love coke and I can’t live without it!
15. Best place to eat out? In Sydney, I love China Doll
16. Happiest moment? When I quit my job
17. Saddest moment? Watching the movie ‘Me Before You’. I was on a plane when I watched it and I was in the middle seat in between two people and I was just bawling!
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram
19. Blog or YouTube? Blog
20. Iphone or camera? Camera
21. Type of camera? Canon 5D Mark II
22. VSCO cam or Snapseed? Snapseed
23. Facetune or untouched? I need a bit of Facetune here and there!
24. Favourite filter? I don’t use filters
25. Shooting on-the-go or location scouting? Shooting on-the-go
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influencer
27. How did you get into blogging? Because I was bored at my job
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Probably about 30 minutes for the shot and then about another half an hour editing… and then probably about another 20 minutes thinking of a caption!
29. Who takes your pics? A combination… my grandmother, my brother, my partner, myself, and just randoms that I find on the street
30. Most exciting moment since being an influencer? Being able to travel so much. Going on Yacht Week with Contiki. They’re all my favourite moments…
31. Most terrifying moment since being an influencer? Not knowing when your next paycheck is coming in – that’s probably my biggest
32. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? I’ve always enjoyed working with Rimmel. All my campaigns I’ve done with them have been fun
33. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Oooh, that’s really hard. Anything that I get from Mecca is always fun because they just surprise me every time. My favourite box from them so far is the Urban Decay Vice lipsticks that they sent me. There were so many colours I was like a kid in a candy shop!
34. Last thing you googled? How to get Beyoncé’s big hair
35. Favourite film? Pan’s Labyrinth
36. Favourite book? I have a few. Don’t judge me but ‘Marching Powder’ is one of my favourites –nothing to do with me as a person, I just enjoyed it as a read. And ‘Not Without My Daughter’
37. Favourite song? Anything Bieber at the moment – I’m a Belieber
38. Favourite band? I really like Gypsy and the Cat and I really love Adele’s stuff
39. Living in the city or living by the beach? Beach
40. Summer or winter? Summer
41. Favourite travel destination? Mexico
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? I’m a bit of both but I’m more leaning towards dinner with friends
43. Partner or single? Partner
44. Siblings? Little brother
45. What city are you currently living in? Sydney
46. Celebrity girl crush? Hmmm… who do I love… I think Inka Williams at the moment
47. Celebrity boy crush? There’s too many! Channing Tatum is still my love
48. Pets? Nope, but my partner has two dogs. Two naughty whippets who are like my pets now
49. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? I love @gypsea_lust and @doyoutravel. Basically all the travel accounts. I really like what @harperandharley does, @garypeppergirl is always one of my favourites, and @samevanslife is very fun to watch
50. Favourite quote you live by? “Live the life you want”
All images: @helenchikx