Taking one look at Hannah Perera’s perfectly sculpted abs on Instagram and you’d be forgiven for disbelieving that up until 12 months ago, this bikini influencer’s career path was actually in the kitchen. A chef by trade, last October saw Hannah decide to take the plunge into full-time influencer life – a career change that appears to be working out pretty damn nicely for her.
Hitting over 200K followers on the social media platform and having worked with the likes of Gooseberry Intimates, Kookai, and Revolve – we’ll soon also see Hannah stepping up her game in the blogging and vlogging scene. To help celebrate a year since taking the plunge, we thought now was the perfect time to get Hannah in the Husskie Fast 50 seat to talk everything from health rules to dealing with users in the industry.
1. Best beauty product of all time? Iconic London Illuminator
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Iconic Illuminator, Mac Prep +Fix Spray, Benefit Brow Eyebrow Pencil/Brush, Napoleon Perdis Foundation, Bali Body BB Cream
3. Hair “done” or messy? Messy for sure
4. Makeup or no makeup? Makeup!!! I love makeup!!!!
5. Favourite fragrance? Daisy by Marc Jacobs
6. Favourite item of clothing? Crop tops! You will barely ever see me wearing a top that
7. Favourite fashion brand? I wouldn’t say I have a favourite because I love to shop around – I’m like a brand whore
8. Sneakers or heels? Heels all the way!
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? I’d have to say exercising outdoors as I really hate gyms, but I’d definitely say my favourite form of exercise is playing sport in a team
10. Yoga or running? Running, but not like a casual run… only in sport
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? I’m going to have to say both. I believe you should
be able to eat whatever the hell you want, but just don’t abuse it. So don’t eat McDonald’s every single day, but you still can have it on occasions. Don’t starve yourself, but don’t over-eat either. Keep a good balance of both and I think it’s really a win-win situation
12. Can you cook? I really hope so since I worked as a chef for 2 years, otherwise I feel really bad for whoever was having to eat the food I cooked – haha!
13. Favourite food? Lumprise. Most people probably have no idea what this is, but it’s a traditional Sri Lankan dish my grandma makes every Christmas and it’s amazing!!!!
14. Favourite drink? Passionfruit Mojito from Mexicano in Narrabeen
15. Best place to eat out? Radio Cairo or Mexicano are definitely my favourite go-tos
16. Happiest moment? I can’t pinpoint overly happy moments in my life, but I am definitely very happy and content with how my life is right now
17. Saddest moment? The saddest moment I’ve ever had was a few years ago on my birthday. My grandpa passed away in my arms and seeing someone you love struggle so much to breathe and attempt to stay alive was definitely one of the hardest moments of my life emotionally
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram, I don’t even have Snapchat anymore
19. Blog or YouTube? Both. I like them for different reasons and I’m actually currently in the process of making both at the moment
20. iPhone or camera? Both. I think the iPhone is good for all the everyday sort of photos, which is why I tend to use it the most often, however, I personally believe you need a camera for all the artsy more professional looking sort of images as I think it creates a different vibe when shot on camera over iPhone
21. Type of camera? I have a Sony A7
22. VSCO cam or Snapseed? Both!!! However, I definitely use VSCO Cam the most out of all my apps
23. Facetune or untouched? Facetune! I will happily admit I use Facetune. I try not to over do it, but it’s good for a little smoothing out here and there and detailing things. And also you can use it to remove something from an image like a random human in the background, haha
24. Favourite filter? These are all my top favourites: A2, A4, C6-9, J2 and J5
25. Shooting on-the-go or location scouting? Both. I definitely try to keep my account as natural as possible, however, sometimes I will see a location and pinpoint it on my maps and tell my partner that we have to take pictures there some time cause it’s super cute or quirky
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influencer
27. How did you get into blogging? Well, at first I was only really posting modelling stuff, and then from there I grew a tiny following which then opened the door to being offered to do sponsored posts on my account for companies. However, it wasn’t really until September last year that I started taking it seriously. I stopped working as a chef late October to pursue it more
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Every photo is different, but on average it takes 5-10 mins. However, I am constantly brainstorming for new ideas – and then also choosing your favourites and editing takes a while as well
29. Who takes your pics? My partner mainly! @tommbutterworth
30. Most exciting moment since being an influencer? Being flown to different countries for jobs
31. Most terrifying moment since being an influencer? I haven’t actually had one yet. But what I find personally terrifying, which I have dealt with before, is all the fake people you can meet in this industry who will happily use anyone to get ahead. People who have no care for other human’s emotions absolutely petrifies me
32. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Glue Store X Abrand 2018! For sure getting to travel for a campaign is always amazing
33. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Free makeup! I absolutely love makeup!
34. Last thing you googled? Where online can I watch ‘The Only Way is Essex’
35. Favourite film? Currently it’s ‘Girl’s Trip’, however, my all time fave is ‘10 Things I Hate About You’
36. Favourite book? ‘Hannah’s Suitcase’
37. Favourite song? ‘Make you feel my love’ by Adele
38. Favourite band? I don’t really have one, but Twenty One Pilots I think do sick gigs
39. Living in the city or living by the beach? Living by the beach for sure, I’m definitely not a city girl
40. Summer or winter? Summer!!
41. Favourite travel destination? I haven’t been everywhere yet, so I couldn’t say
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Half half. Dinner with friends, but I wouldn’t say they are particularly quiet!
43. Partner or single? Partner @tommbutterworth – the legend!!
44. Siblings? Yes, one sister
45. What city are you currently living in? Sydney
46. Celebrity girl crush? Blake Lively
47. Celebrity boy crush? Channing Tatum
48. Pets? Doggie named K’mira, but I swear she is a human!
49. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @doyoutravel, @gypsea_lust, @bybrookelle, @theseafiles, @therealjadetunchy
50. Favourite quote you live by? I have a few:
– Karma is a bitch
– Treat people the way you want to be treated
– Don’t judge a book by its cover
– If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
All images: @hannah_perera