Vera Blue singer Celia Pavey has had so many bangers – if you have a radio, then there’s a 99.5% chance you’ll be able to sing along to one of her songs (that is unless your favourite station is SmoothFM… and look, there’s also nothing wrong with that. #youdoyou). There’s ‘Lady Powers’, ‘Papercuts’, ‘Rushing Back’, ‘The Way That You Love Me’, ‘Regular Touch’, ‘Settle’… the hit list goes on. We have no favourite, we love them all… although not going to lie, Regular Touch might get us up dancing every time.
With Celia jumping aboard W Hotel’s W’s LOVE OUT LOUD float in this year’s Mardi Gras parade on February 29, we sat down with her in between rehearsals for a Quick Fast 40. From being in the school choir to belting out Taylor Swift aged 15 – we uncover some (un)serious ground facts about the making of Vera Blue.
1. Age? 26
2. Height? 5’7’’
3. Best beauty product of all time? Dry shampoo
4. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Paw paw, Bio Oil, oil-free moisturiser, Moroccanoil for hair, and sunscreen
5. Hair “done” or messy? Done
6. Favourite fragrance? Bloom by Gucci
7. Favourite item of clothing? Doc Martens
8. Favourite fashion brand? Changes all the time… Let’s go with Docs. I love Doc Martens. Also love Alice McCall
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Gym
10. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Oh my gosh, ooooh that’s tough. Both. Gotta have a balance
11. Can you cook? Can cook… not well
12. Favourite food to indulge in? Choccie
13. First thing you pick from the mini-bar? MnM’s if they have them. Especially the peanut butter ones
14. Favourite hobby? I don’t know if it’s a hobby but I like eating breakfast at cafes. Brunch. Is brunch a hobby? [Editor’s note: I certainly count it as one!]
15. A strange fact about you that fans might not know? I can burp really, really loud. Like extremely loud. Like scary loud.
16. How did you first get into singing? It’s in the family. Couldn’t avoid it. My sister and mum sing, we sang at church – we’re all singers
17. Were you in the school choir? Oh yes, I sure was
18. First solo performance? When I was in highschool. I was about 15 and I did a cover of Taylor Swift ‘White Horse’
19. When did you first get “noticed”? After I went on The Voice, people were like – that’s the girl from The Voice with the long orange hair!
20. Best gig you’ve ever played at? A couple of years ago at the Enmore Theatre on the Lady Powers tour. Playing a headline show there was amazing
21. Worst gig you’ve ever played at? Back in the day when I was busking. I would busk at Martin Place, which is just a dumb spot to busk in hindsight, hahaha
22. Funniest fan moment? When people will see you in the street and just can’t muster words and will either stutter or cry, it’s very endearing
23. Favourite song you like to sing? ‘Get Out’ by JoJo
24. Career highlight? Performing at Red Rocks with Flume
25. Career lowlight? Getting sick when you’re on tour is terrible. It’s a horrible feeling when you feel like you aren’t performing your best and people have come out to see you
26. Last thing you googled? ‘Iron deficiency’, hahaha
27. Favourite film? ‘Pretty Woman’
28. Favourite book? ‘Scar Tissue’ by Anthony Keats
29. Living in the city or living by the beach? Beach, for sure
30. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Oooh at the moment… quiet dinner with friends
31. Partner or single? Partner
32. Siblings? Two, a brother and a sister
33. What city are you currently living in? Sydney
34. Celebrity/influencer crush? Ummm, Harry Styles. He’s stunning
35. Pets? Don’t have any pets
36. What is your best asset? My hair, funnily enough. I used to want to dye it when I was in school and everyone would call me a ranga. Now I love it
37. Biggest misconception about you? That I’m cool. Because I’m definitely not cool!
38. Biggest fear? Spiders. And sharks. In equal portions
39. Favourite quote you live by? Be yourself
40. Top life tip? Wear sunscreen. Definitely wear sunscreen. And keep on smiling.
W Hotels will be a major partner of the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras celebration, with 80 staff joining Vera Blue on the float – dancing and marching alongside the super-charged fluoro boom box.