50 Questions with The Fashion Fraction’s Michèle Krüsi
Growing up in a tiny hamlet in Switzerland, Michèle Krüsi launched her blog The Fashion Fraction in late 2010 – a time when the world of blogging was just starting to gain traction. With a background in graphic design and a fierce love for expensive designer shoes, Michèle had the perfect recipe for making it in the competitive fashion blogging landscape.
Eight years on and The Fashion Fraction is not only one of the most renowned and read fashion blogs in Switzerland, but has also gone on to become a successful Instagram platform. Capturing the eyes of brands from the high street to high fashion, Michèle has worked with such names as Hermès, Cartier, OMEGA, Burberry, and Swarovski – and has even brought out her own jewellery line featuring her signature tiny heart.
Here, we speak to Michèle about everything from avoiding playing the comparison game to all her top tricks and tips when it comes to the ‘Gram.
1. Best beauty product of all time? MAC Lipstick in colour “Velvet Teddy”
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Brow pencil, eyeliner, mascara, nude lipstick, coconut oil
3. Hair “done” or messy? 80% messy, 20% done
4. Makeup or no makeup? Always no makeup if I don’t have shootings / events
5. Favourite fragrance? Armani “Si” and Lancôme “La Vie est Belle”
6. Favourite item of clothing? Shoes, I guess
7. Favourite fashion brand? So many!
8. Sneakers or heels? Get yourself a girl who can do both… I can 😉
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Home workouts!
10. Yoga or running? Running
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? You gotta do both
12. Can you cook? Yes, but I prefer to eat 😉
13. Favourite food? Pasta with pesto and Asian food in general
14. Favourite drink? Ginger ale
15. Best place to eat out? I love the Nobu restaurants
16. Happiest moment? Always when discovering new places and meeting new people
17. Saddest moment? I tend to push bad moments to the back of my mind, but probably when my mom had a bad accident when I was very young
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram for sure! Who’s still using Snapchat?!
19. Blog or YouTube? Blog – I’ve never been a YouTube person
20. Iphone or camera? iPhone – allows to capture “moments”
21. Type of camera? Canon EOS 5D Mark III
22. Facetune or untouched? I do a lot of corrections in colours, but usually no Facetune retouching
23. Lightroom or VSCO? Both! But Lightroom if I have to choose one
24. Favourite filter? The A-series on VSCO
25. Favourite way to edit pics? I like my pictures colourful and bright!
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time blogger
27. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I started with the blog and then created Instagram years later
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Depends soooo much! Some pics take 15 minutes (including taking the picture and editing it), some take almost a day (if I have to travel somewhere, get accessories for it, etc)
29. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be unique. There are so many people who just copy other girl’s styles because that kind of style is running well. I think that’s the wrong way, you should try set new trends and stick out
30. Who takes your pics? I work with three different photographers – one of them is my boyfriend, and the others are very good friends as well
31. Career highlight since being an influencer? I’ve loved all the travels and I’m very proud to have been working with many incredible brands already such as Cartier, OMEGA, Burberry etc
32. Career lowlight since being an influencer? This business is very superficial – so sometimes it’s hard not to think like “oh, she’s prettier… skinnier… more successful than me”… I had those moments very often and it depressed me a lot, but I’ve learnt not to compare myself with others but rather just with myself
33. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? I loved working with Cartier to promote their new LOVE bracelet
34. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? I always love those with personal notes!
35. Last thing you googled? “Mini Hoop Earrings” because I just got 4 ear piercings and I’m looking for very specific earrings now. Haven’t found the perfect ones yet!
36. Favourite film? I’m so bad at remembering film names!
37. Favourite book? I love all Jojo Moyes books
38. Favourite song? Currently: Sick Boy by The Chainsmokers
39. Favourite band? Gosh – too many! And again, I’m so bad at remembering the names of the singers and the song as well… rather I remember the lyrics, haha
40. Living in the city or living by the beach? City girl!
41. Favourite travel destination? LA – cause city AND beach 😉
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Dinner for sure!
43. Partner or single? Partner
44. Siblings? One little brother
45. What city are you currently living in? Zurich
46. Celebrity crush? Kaia Gerber
47. Pets? Two Siamese cats
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? Queenofjetlags, Xeniaoverdose, Tezzamb, Ohhcouture, Alexcentomo… but actually there are many more I totally love
49. Favourite quote you live by? “Some people dream of success while others wake up and work hard at it” – Winston Churchill
50. Top career tip? Stay true to yourself and follow your passion
All images: The Fashion Fraction