50 Questions with model and influencer Fiona Barron
Joining Instagram in February 2014 with a throwback polaroid of herself with her family, Fiona Barron has come a long way since then – now amassing an engaged audience of over 895K followers on the Gram and turning her account into a full-time modelling and influencing career.
Growing up an only child on a tropical island, Fiona first gained followers through her beach-focused captures before setting social media on further fire in September last year when there were reports she showed up to The Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills with Justin Bieber (something that neither of them has confirmed or denied).
With Fiona’s career going from strength-to-strength, we decided to pull her aside from her travels to take part in our latest Fast 50. Here she chats to us about everything from how she first got started on Instagram to spontaneous photo shoots.
1. Best beauty product of all time? Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Dark Chocolate and Peppermint Lip Butter
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? I love the Colour Pop Cream Highlighter, EX1 Cosmetics Foundation, Avène Moisturizer, Kiko Gold Waves bronzer, and L’Oréal Paradise Mascara
3. Hair “done” or messy? My hair doesn’t get really messy, but I never add heat to it! I just let it be or have it up in a ponytail
4. Favourite fragrance? I love one from Dolce and Gabbana – it was limited-edition and came in a burgundy velvet box
5. Favourite item of clothing? I love short form-fitting but still flowy dresses!
6. Favourite fashion brand? Reformation
7. Gym or exercising outdoors? Outdoors – or workout classes like Pilates. I don’t like the gym
8. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Both! Never boring. I’ve never really been on a diet or eaten the same thing twice a week
9. Can you cook? Yes, I love cooking
10. Favourite food to indulge in? I love good pasta – I probably treat myself a little too often
11. First thing you pick from the mini-bar? Peanut M&Ms
12. Best place to eat out? Uuu hard one! Anything recommended by eater.com
13. Happiest moment? I loved watching the sunset driving through Spain with my parents a few months ago – seeing the whole sky turn bright pink and purple
14. Saddest moment? When my grandfather passed away when I was younger
15. Blog or YouTube? Blog
16. iPhone or camera? iPhone for my Instagram photos and camera when I shoot landscapes
17. Type of camera? I have a film camera but I want a Nikon!
18. Facetune or untouched? I smooth under my eyes, haha, and whiten the back on FaceTune if it’s needed
19. Lightroom or VSCO? VSCO!
20. Favourite filter? C7
21. Favourite way to edit pics? I like it to look bright but very natural, for example on VSCO – I only go around 1.5-2.7 on the filter
22. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Both! Modelling 8-6 haha and full-time influencer
23. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? It started with my mom taking photos of me for fun at the beach!
24. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Not long! I take a lot of photos but it takes around 5 minutes. Choosing my favorite and editing takes longer than actually shooting the image
25. What’s your top Instagram tip? I’m really happy with a blue bikini pic I posted last week…
26. Who takes your pics? I like my pictures to be spontaneous, whoever is with me in that moment – my closest friends or my boyfriend
27. Career highlight since being an influencer? I’m so grateful to do what I do! It’s a highlight every time I get on a plane and get to travel
28. Career lowlight since being an influencer? JETLAG!!! And moving around non-stop. Spending 30+ hours a week at airports and planes
29. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? I started modelling a few months ago and I’m so happy I get the opportunity to work with brands I love! Frankie’s bikinis, Lolli swim, Forever 21, Pacsun, Beach Bunny, etc
30. Worst thing that’s happened to you on a photo shoot? I’m grateful I get to take photos for a living, it’s still pretty crazy to me. The worst thing is when the bobby pins stab me all day – I’ve had heavy hair attached to me and my head is bruised for days after
31. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? I love bikinis!! And cute clothes always make me happy when I receive packages at my door, it feels like Christmas
32. Last thing you googled? At what time “All time” closes – restaurant I want to go to tonight, haha
33. Favourite film? That’s a tricky one! I’m bad at favourite questions because I have so many. I recently watched ‘Dallas Buyers Club’, really good movie
34. Favourite book? Currently reading ’The Secret’ – not my favourite book but it’s been a really good read
35. Favourite song? ‘La Boheme Charles Aznavour’ has a special meaning and always puts a smile on my face
36. Living in the city or living by the beach? I grew up by the beach. I love the city life but I would always need to leave and head back somewhere calm close to the ocean
37. Favourite travel destination? Italy
38. Most Instagram-worthy spot? Positano, The Bahamas, Santorini
39. Top three essentials to pack when traveling? Bikinis, moisturiser, extra toothbrushes
40. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? QUIET DINNER! By far…
41. Partner or single? Partner ♥️
42. Siblings? I’m an only child
43. What city are you currently living in? I’m currently not really anywhere! I’m traveling non-stop 🌎
44. Celebrity/influencer crush? @jakepicking 😉
45. Pets? So many! It’s kind of crazy, my parents have always adopted street animals – so 6 cats, 5 dogs, and bunnies
46. What is your best asset? I’m really positive and grateful
47. Biggest misconception about you and your job? The biggest misconception is that someone else is paying for my travel, when in reality it’s either my own money or it’s for work. Another misconception is “it’s not a real job”…
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @amberasaly @badboi @karmagawa @goop @fitwithcambrie
49. Favourite quote you live by? “It’s a beautiful life”
50. Top career tip? Consistency is key!! It’s not about just envisioning what you want, it’s about working for it.
All images: Fiona.bl